Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Supporting a Full Spectrum of Learners
I think we all can agree that the most important job of a teacher is to ensure that every student's needs are being accommodated. Like I have mentioned briefly before, every student is completely different in the way they learn, interact, behave, their likes and dislikes, etc. We are all different. So how does a teacher come up with one lesson that fits all these different personalities? I guess the answer is, you don't. You never can come up with ONE way. You have to keep trying new things. Give students choices, test the waters with all sorts of different lessons. Find out what works and what doesn't. As an education student, I am finding out very quickly that it is ok to try out a new lesson and have it fail. If you planned a lesson and as it is being put into practice it is just not working with your students... IMPROVISE! Nothing is ever set in stone as a teacher. That is my favorite part. I love that as a teacher you can use your creativity to make mistakes and make a comeback that changes your students progress before your eyes. And then on top of it, to be able to see the light bulb go off in their eyes when you've finally found a way that makes it click for them. It's an incredible feeling. With that being said, I think it is a little bit clearer now as to why I think it is so important that we as teachers recognize the differences between our students. With out the difference, we would need no flexibility. Constantly take in new knowledge and ideas. Search the web for other teachers lesson plans and fun crafts and lessons. There are plans for every kind of student out there. Try lessons that get kids up and moving for your active learners, or ones that get them painting for your visual and creative learners. Incorporate audio files and videos, guest speakers and field trips. Think outside the box and never draw a limit around what you can do as a teacher. Your students are counting on you to turn on that light bulb.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment